DVM, Diplomate ACVIM (SAIM)
- Undergraduate: North Carolina State University (biochemistry)
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Ross University, St. Kitts, West Indies. 2005
- Clinical 4th year: Texas A&M University. 2004-2005
- Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Rotating Internship – Metropolitan Veterinary Hospital, Akron, Ohio. 2005-2006
- Small Animal Internal Medicine – University of Minnesota, Veterinary Medical Center. 2006-2009
Dr. Susan Simmerson is a board certified internal medicine specialist. In addition to enjoying all aspects of practice within internal medicine, Dr. Simmerson holds special interest in kidney disease, hepato-biliary disease, gastrointestinal disease and critical care. Prior to joining Carolina Veterinary Specialists in 2015, she worked in private practice at Dogs and Cats Veterinary Referral Hospital in Bowie, Maryland for over 6 years. While there she also developed and directed the hospital’s internship teaching program. Dr. Simmerson has published in the scientific literature on the topic of protein losing enteropathy in Yorkshire terrier dogs and she lectures regularly at continuing education meetings on many various internal medicine topics.
In her free time Dr. Simmerson enjoys spending time with her husband and family. She is also an avid outdoor enthusiast.