DVM, Diplomate ABVP (Avian Practice), Diplomate ABVP (Exotic Companion Practice)
BA – Boston University, 1990
DVM – Tufts University, 1994
North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine (NCSU-CVM), 1995-1997
- American Board of Veterinary Practitioners – Avian Practice, 1997 (recertified 2006 and 2016)
- American Board of Veterinary Practitioners – Exotic Companion Mammal Practice, 2012
Dr. Powers worked in general private practice for a year before her residency and for five years after her residency at North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine (NCSU-CVM) before joining the staff at Carolina Veterinary Specialists in 2002. Dr. Powers is also an adjunct assistant professor at NCSU-CVM. She currently serves as the president of the Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV). She served as the chairperson of the AAV Research Committee from 2006 through 2012. She served as vice-president of the Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians (AEMV) from 2007 to 2009, and served as a board member for the AEMV from 2007 to 2010. She was a 2011 and 2012 recipient of the AAV President’s Award for Outstanding Service, the 2008 recipient of the AEMV President’s Award, and has received numerous other professional honors and awards. Dr. Powers has written more than twenty scientific journal articles and book chapters and has lectured extensively locally, regionally, and nationally. Dr. Powers completed a clinical drug safety trial for the use of Advantage Multi for Cats (Bayer) in domestic ferrets, and has conducted several other research studies while at Carolina Veterinary Specialists, including an investigation into the metabolism of the anticonvulsant drug phenobarbital in African grey parrots and ongoing studies investigating a newly characterized intestinal parasite of cockatiels, Spironucleus meleagridis.
Areas of Special Interest:
Avian and Exotic Critical Care and Emergency Medicine, Avian Neurologic Diseases, Immune-Mediated and Endocrine Diseases of Ferrets, Cardiac Diseases of Ferrets
- Speer B, Powers LV. Anatomy and disorders of the beak and oral cavity of birds. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice. 2016;19(3):707-736.
- Levy MG, Powers LV, Gore KC, Marr HS. Spironucleus meleagridis, an enteric diplomonad protozoan of cockatiels (Nymphicus hollandicus): Preliminary molecular characterization and association with clinical disease. Veterinary Parasitology 2015;208(3):169-173.
- Northrup NC, Barron HW, Aldridge C, Powers LV, Greenacre CB, Hutcheson J, Morrisey JK. Outcome for client-owned domestic rabbits undergoing limb amputation: 34 cases (2000-2009). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2014;244:950-955.
- Powers LV, Papich, M. Pharmacokinetics of orally administered phenobarbital in African grey parrots (Psittacus erithacus erithacus). Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2011;34(6): 615-617.
- Powers LV. Bacterial and parasitic diseases of ferrets. Veterinary Clinics of North America Exotic Animal Practice 2009;12:531–561.